Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Planning continues, and why

I'm overwhelmed with information and questions about Europe, so have resigned myself to accepting that for most of this trip, I will just "wing it."  I've also decided to exchange the huge city of London for more relaxing French or Italian countryside.  I am considering Nice, and am strongly leaning towards a few days in Cinque Terre, thanks to a suggestion from a friend at work. 

I am still having a hard time choosing (or narrowing down) my destination choices.  The list of wants is too long for the 2 weeks I have.  Currently being considered are:
  • Amsterdam - would love to see the Van Gogh museum, and Anne Frank's house
  • Paris - This one is definite
  • Nice
  • Cinque Terre
  • Florence
  • Milan
  • Venice (most likely will be leaving out of Venice, since the flights seem cheapest that way)
  • Rome (although a "must see" according to everyone, this is actually a bit low on my list)
  • Pompeii (this one is out of the way, but super cool)
Leave feedback/comments/suggestions/advice/criticisms about this list please!!!! 

Lastly, everyone keeps asking why I am going alone, on short notice, with little money, and with barely no luggage.  Here are my reasons:

First, I have always wanted to go to Europe - dreamed of seeing the Louvre, had interest in the culture, and longed to experience the atmosphere.  I had begun planning to go a few years ago with Joss, but it never panned out, or more accurately, I never made it happen.  I realized very recently, that if I don't actually do it, it will never come on its own, and that once I start chemo (which I am overdue for) that would block out an entire year that I could not do much travelling.  Then after that, who knows if I'll be able to go, or if I'll even be around (though I'm sure I will.  Almost.)  My Mother had always wanted to go to Italy, and her "one day" never came.  I hate that!!!!  (I REALLY fu**ing hate that!) So, with these thoughts, I realized how much world I've not seen, and decided to experience all that I can, while I can.  And what better way to kick it off than Europe! 

The rush in going (hopefully in 3 weeks) is because I have already delayed chemo, and need to get started on it asap. 

Although some of the aspects of the trip (going alone, with little money, little luggage, and almost no reservations - at least the hotel/travel kind) were initally forced; I have little choice about them.   As I started researching and reading, though, these parts of the trip became more and more exciting to me.  I'm looking at this as more of an adventure/journey than a vacation.   One article that really inspired me was this one.

So, there's the story of one of my recent journeys (journey through cancer, journey through Europe, and friday night's Journey concert!  Rock on!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

My Life In Bytes | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates